Are You STILL Wearing White?
According to the United States Department of Labor, the first Monday of September constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country. Labor Day is also considered the unofficial end of Summer and considered the last day of the year when it is fashionable to wear white.
Money.cnn.com reports that the United States is unlike most other developed countries in that our laws do not require companies to offer paid vacation time to employees. Greece, France, and the United Kingdom all require over 20 days of vacation time each year.
Apparently American workers do not seem to mind as 57% of working Americans had unused vacation time at the end of 2011, according to a study performed by Harris Interactive for JetBlue.
Why take a vacation? Business Insider lists these reasons:
1. A vacation will help you live up to 20 percent longer
2. Some time away will give you more energy on a daily basis
3. During a break from work is when people come up with their best ideas
4. Calling your travel agent can save your marriage and keep you off the Prozac
5. You will save your company money every day you are away
There is still time in 2012 to use up any pending vacation time or plan a little trip. I am headed to Phoenix in October. It will be my first trip to Arizona. Leave me a comment with all the things I “must see”!